The Northeast Seattle library had its origins in 1945, when members of the Ravenna Community Club decided to raise money for a library station. They fundraised by going door-to-door, and eventually had enough to rent a small space. It was called the Ravenna-View Ridge deposit station, and was opened in December of 1945.
Due to popularity and use, it was soon obvious that a more permanent library was needed, so the City Council bought a bookmobile and built three branches of the Seattle Public Library in the early 1950s. The Northeast Seattle Branch building was designed by Seattle architect Paul Thiry. It opened in June 1954, and was designated as a landmark in January 2001, with a grand re-opening soon after its 50-year anniversary, on June 26th 2004.
Seattle Public Library Northeast Branch
6801 35th Ave. NE
Seattle, WA 98115